Day 11: The Holy Spirit as Rain
Verses to Consider:
Hosea 6: 3 “Then shall we know, if we follow on to know the LORD: his going forth is prepared as the morning; and he shall come unto us as the RAIN, as the latter and former RAIN unto the earth.”
Joel 2:23,28,29: “Be glad then, ye children of Zion, and rejoice in the LORD your God: for he hath given you the former RAIN moderately, and he will cause to come down for you the RAIN, the former RAIN, and the latter RAIN in the first month. And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions: And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out my spirit.”
There is hardly a more peaceful sound than the sound of the rain hitting the roof of our house in the summertime. The fresh fragrance in the air that comes after the rain is one that I wish I could bottle and use all year round. The grass looks greener; the colorful flowers seem more beautiful. I love hearing the sounds of little children laughing and running through the puddles, and slipping and sliding on rainy days.
Have you ever wondered why our Heavenly Father has promised us the Holy Spirit coming to us as rain? In the earthly physical realm, we must have rain to survive. We must have it to grow our crops, and we need it for water to drink, and to keep ourselves clean. We know how important rain is to our very survival. Could it be that the spiritual rain has this same significance in the spiritual realm? Rain has much symbolic meaning in the Word of God. Sometimes I like to go to www.godsview.com to search out specific words used in the Bible. When searching verses on the word “rain”, I learned that not only does God send His rain in the form of a blessing to His people, but He also withholds the rain as judgment when His people turn their hearts from Him to serve other gods. From reading the verses on rain, I also saw that the rain in the physical realm (or lack thereof) often parallel the spiritual condition of the people. What do the following verses speak to you?
- Hosea 10:12 “Sow to yourselves in righteousness, reap in mercy; break up your fallow ground: for it is time to seek the LORD, till he come and RAIN righteousness upon you.”
- Matthew 5: 6 “Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled. “
- James 5:7 “Be patient therefore, brethren, unto the coming of the Lord. Behold, the husbandman waiteth for the precious fruit of the earth, and hath long patience for it, until he receive the early and latter rain.”
- Joel 2: 12 “Therefore also now, saith the LORD, turn ye even to me with all your heart, and with fasting, and with weeping, and with mourning: And rend your heart, and not your garments, and turn unto the LORD your God: for he is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and repenteth him of the evil. “
- Joel 2: 17 “ Let the priests, the ministers of the LORD, weep between the porch and the altar, and let them say, Spare thy people, O LORD, and give not thine heritage to reproach, that the heathen should rule over them: wherefore should they say among the people, Where is their God? “ (KJV version)
Farmers don’t wait for the rain to come before they begin tilling up the grounds and planting the seeds. They break up the ground, prepare the soil and plant the seed and believe for the rain. As believers in Jesus we must prepare for the rain by asking the Holy Spirit to search our hearts, to help us repent of anything ungodly, and plant the seed of God’s Word in our hearts. During these fifty days, we are preparing for rain. Are you ready?
- Are you desperate to see this outpouring of the Holy Spirit? Are you yearning, and hungering, and thirsting for God to fill us with His Holy Spirit? Or do you say within our hearts, if God wants me to have the Baptism of the Holy Spirit, He will give it to me.
- Do you realize that we need this rain from heaven for your very survival?
- Do you have the heart of repentance and the willingness to say to the Lord, “Whatever it takes, Lord, I want more of You!”
Pray this Prayer:
Dear Heavenly Father,
I am like that dry and thirsty land parched and needing the rain of your Holy Spirit. Lord, I am willing and ready to lay down anything and everything that would hold back this rain from heaven coming to me. Please show me, Father, the areas of my life that are displeasing to you. Help me to repent and seek you with all of my heart. I desperately want this outpouring of your Holy Spirit. I love you Lord. I worship you Lord.
The year was 1972; I had been seeking the Baptism of the Holy Spirit for weeks. It happened one day as I was practicing piano in the Music Building at Ball State University. I started singing and worshipping God in a language that I had never spoken before, and realized that God had just baptized me in His Holy Spirit in that practice room!!! That evening, He let me know that what I had received was really from Him as I went back to my dorm, and found my roommate praying in tongues just before going to sleep. What a glory time we had that night sharing with each other the glorious things that God was doing!
Since those days at Ball State, the Holy Spirit has truly been a Comforter and friend! What refreshing waters of life He has brought to my life! He is everything to me. I am so thankful that He has baptized me in His Holy Spirit. I am so thankful that He daily walks with me, and He talks with me and tells me I am His own.
- Ceci McNeal